Print, Copy, and Scan
Printing, Copiers, and Scanning
This page provides information on how to configure your computer to use the CSAIL printing infrastructure. Print spooling is handled by a software package called CUPS, which runs on the CSAIL print spooler server. Printing service is available for just about any operating system, since CUPS is backward-compatible with LPR (an older UNIX printing system.)
If you experience any problems with our printing services; that is, print job spooling, client configuration issues, printer jams, toner, paper, or other physical issues with printers, email email@example.com or stop by 32-270
All users who wish to print from or have a static IP address on the wireless network must use the CSAILPrivatewireless network.
- CUPS listing of all current printers and their status: http://cups.csail.mit.edu:631/printers
- CUPS listing of all current print jobs: http://cups.csail.mit.edu:631/jobs
Copying on the Xerox Workcentre 7970
To use the machine for copying, enter your copy code, which you can obtain from your group’s Administrative Assistant or your PI, and proceed with copying in a usual way.
Scanning on the Xerox Workcentre 7970
Scan to Email
- You start by pressing the “Email” button on the touchscreen of the unit. If the button is not present on screen, press “All Services” in the upper right hand corner on the screen.
- On the screen that comes up, you want to press the the “New Recipient” to add the email addresses where your documents are being sent. Use the onscreen keyboard to type in the first address and then the “+Add” button when you’ve finish putting the address.
- Once you’re finished with adding address, press the Close button in the upper right-hand corner of the touchscreen
- Once you placed your document on the glass or in the automatic document feeder, you press the Start button to scan and send the document
Scan to USB
- Insert your USB Stick in the front of the machine by the touchscreen.
- Press the “Network Scanning” button on the touchscreen of the unit.
Hard disks on all 10 copiers are being cleaned nightly, at 3am or 4am. Also, all data is removed before the old hard disk is replaced. We will make sure that no data is left when there is time to return the copiers back to Xerox.