Printing to Mondrian
Mondrian is our large format printer, located just outside TIG, 32-270.
This printer is expensive to supply and maintain, it should only be used by CSAIL members for CSAIL research.
You can print to Mondrian only from the public CSAIL machines in the open area on the Second Floor outside of TIG. You must have a valid CSAIL account to log in.
Use the Mac's for best / most consistant results
Mondrian Quick Info
- HP Designjet T1300 ePrinter
- Paper Handling: Two automatic roll feeds; automatic roll-switching; automatic cutter
- Maximum Paper Width: 42 inches
- Mechanical print time: 39 sec/page US D color line drawing, Draft mode, plain (translation = fast)
- Print resolution: Color - Up to 2400 x 1200dpi
Two paper types are available, plain and glossy. The glossy paper is 500% more expensive to print on compared to the plain. Use the glossy only when truly needed. Paper is available in the lockers behind the printer. If no paper is available, ask TIG.
If you need help, ask TIG, otherwise:
From the printer touch pad panel:
- Touch the “i” button
- From the “Paper Information” screen, choose “Options”
- Choose the roll you want to load
- Follow the prompts to load the paper. It’s important you are patient and wait until it prompts you for the next step. For example, if you close the door before it want’s you to, you have to start over.
- After the roll is loaded, choose paper type
- Roll 1: HP Universal Bond Paper
- Roll 2: HP Universal High-gloss Photo Paper
For consistency, reliability, and ease of use, we recommend and support printing from .pdf’s.
The following are instructions on how to print a .pdf from Adobe Acrobat (Mac and Windows) or Evince (Ubuntu)** Note: if you ‘Save As PDF’ from a different PowerPoint version than the one in which you made the poster, you may run into sizing problems when it comes time to print.
- Open your .pdf in Adobe Acrobat
- File Print, then click “Page Setup” If you receive a “The Page Setup dialog box” box, click yes.
- Choose Format for: “Mondrian”, then for Paper Size select “Manage Custom Sizes”
- Here you want to set the size you want your final poster print. You
must know what size in inches your final print will be. Ideally,
that is the same as your documents Page Size
- Click the + button to Add a custom size
- If both your edges are <= 42”: Set the longest edge value as your Width, shortest edge value as Height.
- If one of your edges is > 42”: Set the shortest edge value as your Width, longest edge value as Height.
- If both of your edges are > 42”, set the Width value to 42”, and the longest edge value as Height. (Your poster will be scaled in preceding steps)
- Click OK.
- Back at the Print dialog box:
- for Size Options choose “Fit”
- Orientation choose “Auto”
- Click Printer on the bottom left If you receive a “The Page Setup dialog box” box, click yes.
- For Printer choose “Mondrian.
- Where it currently lists “Layout” choose “Paper/Quality”
- For Plain Paper: (we request you use Plain Paper whenever possible.
Glossy paper costs around 5x more per square inch)
- Paper Source “Roll 1”
- Paper Type “Bond and Coated Paper” “HP Universal Bond Paper”
- Quality Options choose “Speed”
- For Glossy Paper:
- Paper Source “Roll 2”
- Paper Type “Photo Paper” “HP Universal High-Gloss Photo Paper”
- Quality Options choose “Speed”
- Click Print, then Print again will send your job to the
printer. Make sure the appropriate paper is loaded and ready.
TIG has a large format mat and straight edge, sliding cutter for trimming your posters. If you need it, please ask.
Please feel free to stop into TIG for help. Or, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org