- A supported version of Mac OS (>= 10.5.8 as of this writing)
- A CSAIL IMAP account
- CSAIL Master CA is installed systemwide: see first section of CertificatesSafariKeychain
- Start Mail (eg, by clicking its icon on the dock)
- At "Welcome to Mail":
- Full Name: Your full name as you want it to appear on your outgoing messages
- Email address:
- Password: leave blank for now
- If you see "Mail can't verify the identity of 'csail.mit.edu'", click Cancel.
- At "Incoming Mail Server":
- Account Type: "IMAP"
- Incoming Mail Server:
- Password: (your IMAP password)
- Click Continue. If prompted, put a checkmark next to Use SSL and change "Password" to "CRAM-MD5".
- At "Outgoing Mail Server":
- Outgoing Mail Server:
- Use Authentication:
- If prompted, enter the same username and CSAIL IMAP password.
- Then click Continue/Create.
Share Sent/Trash with other email programs:
By default, Apple Mail will save sent items to "Sent Messages" and Trash to "Deleted Messages". To share the standard name of these folders, as used by Thunderbird and other IMAP clients:
User database auto-completion
- In the folder list (you may need to click "Show" in the top left), navigate underneath "CSAIL.MIT.EDU" to select "Sent".
- In the Mailbox menu, choose Use This Mailbox For > Sent. The folder will disappear, becoming "Sent" under "MAILBOXES" further up.
- Repeat for Trash.
- The folders "Sent Messages" and "Deleted Items" will appear below; after checking for contents you may delete them.
: See LDAP Directory Lookup
: To see mail folders shared by other users, go to Mail -> Preferences -> Advanced -> IMAP Path Prefix and change "INBOX" to "" (blank). Your own mail folders will now show underneath Mailboxes -> Inbox, while shared folders will show underneath "CSAIL IMAP". If Mail suggests reverting the prefix to "INBOX", tell it "Don't Change."
Kerberos password prompts
: Occasional prompts when checking/sending mail are normal. To remove them, change both Mail -> Accounts -> Advanced -> Authentication, and Mail -> Accounts -> Account Information -> Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) -> Edit Server List -> Advanced -> Authentication, to "CRAM-MD5".