Accessing CSAIL IMAP from an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch)
The below instructions assume iOS 3.x or 4.x. (Settings -> General -> About -> Version)
- Install the CSAIL Master CA and CSAIL Master CA v2 on your iPhone (see Step 1 of iPhone Certs Install for details)
- From the home screen, tap "Settings" (gear icon), then "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
- Tap "Add Account...", "Other", then "Add Mail Account"
- Enter your name, email address @csail.mit.edu, and IMAP/webmail password, as in [A], then tap "Save".
- Under Incoming Mail Server, use "Host Name:"
imap.csail.mit.edu and your CSAIL "User Name:".
- Under Outgoing Mail Server, use "Host Name:"
outgoing.csail.mit.edu as well as "User Name:" and re-enter your IMAP "Password:" as in [B], then tap "Save".
- After a minute, you should see "Your account has been verified."
- Tap "SMTP: outgoing.csail.mit.edu", then "outgoing.csail.mit.edu". Change "Use SSL" to "ON", then go back by tapping "< SMTP" and "< email@example.com".
- Tap "Advanced". All of "Drafts/Sent/Deleted Mailbox" should list "On My iPhone", as in [C]. If not, tap the mailbox name, then tap already-selected "On My iPhone" folder. (If desired, you may store Sent in your IMAP Sent mailbox, but we recommend leaving Trash and Drafts local.)
- Customize further as desired. When satisfied, navigate back to the "Done" button before pressing Home and checking your mail using the "Mail" icon.
Screenshots A | B | C below:
- Problems sending mail? Make sure that Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendar -> [Your CSAIL address] -> Account -> Outgoing Mail Server/SMTP shows
- Deleting messages gives "can't move to trash"? Re-do steps 7 and 8, above.